We’ve successfully moved all sites, email, DNS, and everything else on our old server, Highpoint, to our brand new machine, Pandora. This has entailed a lot more downtime than we’d anticipated; this has mostly been due to lack of preparation on my part, a glorious DNS cock-up and the added complexity of having Highpoint’s backhaul fail three times as we tried to move across all the data.
In total it was a fairly mammoth operation by our standards; we transferred in excess of 100 gigabytes of data between the servers over the course of 12 hours, shifted over 20 websites and 3 major webapps, and got everything up and running again in under a day once we’d moved it all to the new box. The downtime has been annoying and I’ve certainly learned some lessons for next time, but here’s the flipside…
We’re now running on a much, much roomier machine. We’ve not got the environment perfectly set up and we’ll no doubt spend the next week tuning everything, adjusting things till they’re just right and fixing bugs, as well as adjusting and rewriting chunks of applications to make use of the extended caching capabilities of our new environment. We’re already using this to great effect in the EVE Metrics APIs but we can make better use of caching throughout our apps.
Once we’ve gotten settled in, we should be performing much better and more reliably than previously. We’ve already seen huge performance gains on our database (we can process more than twice as many uploads per second, for example) and we hope to have things even faster soon.
Of course, to achieve this I have been running on more or less an empty tank as far as sleep is concerned and working things in around my life at university, which has been interesting. Still, we’re at the point now where it’s more or less stable and everything basically works, so now I’m going to grab a few hours of sleep before lectures tomorrow, before a long long lie-in on Saturday. Enjoy!